Tuesday, September 22, 2009

New School Year

And thus it begins. A new school year has started... in fact this is my final school year. Which is a bit of a scary thought but at the same time I can't wait to get into the industry. Anyway, this year I have two projects that I'm working on.

The first one is for Senior Team Project. Which is kind of like our Senior Thesis Class. We spend the whole school year making a game. My team has decided that we want to take a simple game that already exists and then make it in Unreal Tournament 3 so that we can show case the artists' skills and my skill as a level designer. So what we're making is The Floor is Lava. Unfortunately, there's about four programmers in our entire major at the moment... they burn out easily. So I'm doing the programming as well as designing and level designing. Which isn't actually a big deal because designers should know scripting anyway and I've worked in UT3 before so it's not like I'm starting blind.

One of the things about Senior Team Project though, is that teams can be cut and the team members from that team diseminated to the other groups. So there's a chance this could happen to us. But I am confident that we can make a product that will showcase our abilities and be fun at the same time so I'm not too worried about it.

The other project I am currently working on is for my Advanced Seminar class. This is an optional class for designers and artists. They each have their own section so I'm obviously in the designer section. In this class everyone chooses a project and spends the semester making a project for that class. My project is currently being called Swords, Curses, and Smites. It's a working title as soon as I come up with a better game name I'll use it. But it's a card game based around the idea of one type of cards allows a person to tank, another kind allows a person to deal good amounts of damage, and the third allows them to heal. So it's a very simplified form of standard roleplaying roles. Once I have the rules more solidly explainable and such I'll perhaps post a link on here. Right now we're in the middle of playtesting so it's still quite finiky and one of the decks is horribly overpowered compared to the others. But again that's why I'm playtesting.

That pretty much covers it for this update. I hope you all enjoyed my review of Madworld and found it informative. I should have another review posted up in a couple of weeks and hopefully you will find that one helpful and informative as well.

No comments: