Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Busy Life.

It's amazing how quickly you can get wrapped up in your work and not even notice it. I was talking to one of my room mates today and he commented on how little he's seen me in the past couple weeks. As much of a hit as my social life is taking I don't mind at all. I love doing my work so coming in to the EMC to work on it doesn't phase me like it does some people at other places.

A quick update on my two projects at the EMC. We were able to hire two new programmers for our project on Information Literacy, so things are moving a lot more smoothly and we're moving at a quicker pace than we were over the summer. As for the United Nations Project, we're really buckling down and working on the conceptual documents for the game ideas we have.

The EMC had a Grand Opening Gala Event on Tuesday night. I went and was able to talk to some people from Microsoft, EA, and Etherplay. There were many other companies represented but I simply couldn't talk to them all as there were just too many people and not enough time. Talking to some of the people there that work in the industry reaffirmed how difficult it is to get your foot in the door. However, I have a hopeful feeling that with the next batch of seniors and my class that we'll start turning heads in the industry and they'll be tripping over themselves to hire us.

As far as classes are going, related to my major, I am currently taking Game Engine I and Level Design. Game Engine I has proven to be a temperamental class as the program we are using is itself temperamental. I won't name what program we are using as I don't want to anger or annoy anyone who might be reading this blog. Level Design is a dream come true. If I could be taking that class this semester and no other classes I would be in heaven. I think I may have found my calling in the Industry as I really enjoy this class.

In the near future I am planning on going to MIGS, Montreal International Game Summit, which I am looking forward to with baited breath. I've got business cards and I'm working on my charm. It's only a matter talking to people and letting them know that they want to hire me now.

No comments: